Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Why do I struggle with my weight?

For years I've told myself that I make the wrong choices, that I love salty fried foods, my life wouldn't be the same without chocolate cake and cookies, that I just need to exercise more. 


It wasn't until just yesterday that I realized that you can't isolate just your eating habits and fix them.I don't struggle with my weight simply because I like food too much, it's a lot deeper than that. I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad, I deprive myself of food when I'm angry, I eat when I'm bored, I don't sleep enough and eat more as a result. I eat comfort food to get me through stressful times. I tell myself "just this once" way too often.


My food intake is so obviously aligned with my emotions and difficult lifestyle. One invaluable lesson that I've learned is that I HAVE to make healthy eating decisions and exercise a dual effort. They rely so much on one another! I find that if I work out, I make extremely healthy decisions because it's what my body needs. It's easier to pass up unnecessary fats and sugars and go for the more natural items that are packed with nutrients and vitamins. I love working out now that I've found a system for me! I do not go to the gym, but Turbofire brings the gym to my living room and pairs it with exciting music! I love it! My struggle is finding time to work out. 


This is the quick fix for me: work out everyday. As far as controlling my emotions and their now glaringly obvious attachment to my overeating- that's a work in progress. But I'm hoping figuring this out was a huge first step in the right direction!




PERSONAL GOAL AND ADVICE:: 
Schedule a time THE DAY BEFORE to workout for the following day. Don't think about it when the time comes, just do it! I know I'll feel SO much better afterward and make better decisions the rest of the day! Also, give myself one day off*, and treat myself to a walk through the park with my boyfriend, or a little bit of shopping therapy!




---------------------------------
*secret hint- my "day off" treat is actually going to incorporate some milder version of exercise. I don't know about you, but when I shop, I can tell I'm burning calories! And when I take a walk with my boyfriend, we get to talking and pretty soon we've been walking for 2 hours! 

1 comment:

  1. I discovered my own emotional eating habits when I was teaching Middle School band. It was SUPER stressful and I gained so much weight in that year. I started doing Weight Watchers and the program revolutionized my thinking about eating and the mental process that accompany good eating habits. Way to go for empowering yourself to live a healthy life! :) - Reshanda

    ReplyDelete